A delicious alcohlic refreshment that I made for our Cupcakes & Cocktails ladies meet-up group this July. It is a great way to end a hot summer day and to start a hot summer night!
Active Time: 15 min
Total Time: 30 min
- 1 1/2 cups honey
- Zest of 1 orange, peeled in wide strips
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2 cups fresh lime juice (from 15 to 18 limes)
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1 bottle (750 ml) silver tequila, chilled
Stir together honey, zest, and hot water in a bowl until honey is dissolved. Let cool. Muddle berries and basil in pitcher just until basil is fragrant. Stir in honey mixture, lime juice, and tequila. Add ice and serve.
- Lime juice from the big limes in a bag are about 8 limes or roughly one bag of limes.
- The time to prep the strawberries and orange zest will take approximately 45 minutes.
- I find that the fancy strawberry huller available for purchase in kitchen stores works great!
- Purchase a medium silver tequila. Not expensive as Patron but not as cheap as the rubbing alcohol spirits that will give you a headache in non-pure tequila. It should be 100% pure agave. Stick to about $18 dollars and you should be good. If you think that is expensive the Patron Silver is $45 for the same size bottle (750 ml).
- Use a fairly large pitcher. If not it will be hard to stir and you certainly will not be able to manage the ice inside. This drink does need to be iced.
- I'd like to find a way to strain some of the items but it may be because my basil was not chopped. They say to only muddle the basil but perhaps littler pieces would prevent the straw from being clogged.
- I absolutely detest honey. I do not like the flavor. This drink was a great balance and was very delicious so if you do not like honey do not be afraid.
This recipe is from Martha Stewart Living. It came from a 2014 issue during the Spring/Early Summer. In their magazine picture the drink is much lighter in color but I honestly do not see how that it is possible with the amount of strawberries in the recipe.